[Dragaera] Houses of Beaureaucrats

Jon Lincicum jlinc at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 15:17:21 PDT 2007

 Steve the Younger wrote:

> What houses tend to become bureaucrats, I wonder?
> Lyorn for the good ones,
> Chreotha for the mediocre majority, and a few Orca
> for the corruption and
> self-interest to keep the place humming along?

My guess is that most important bureaucratic officials
in almost any Emperor's reign will likely be of the
same House as the Emperor.

This seems to be a signature quality of just about
every government in the history of civilization--the
friends and families of those in power get the cushy
government jobs. This is just as true in so-called
"democratic" and "egalitarian" societies as it is in
monarchies and despotisms of the past.

Now, given that the emperors we're most familiar with
are the Phoenix, and especially in Zerika's case
(being the only one left, and all) we're obviously
looking at a unique situation.

I would tend to expect her to select her advisers and
department heads based on their capabilities, rather
than their Houses. But it's difficult to make too
broad a generalization from this one example, since
presumably the circumstance of any ruling House having
a single extant member (even the Phoenix) is entirely
unprecedented.