[Dragaera] Verra and the Paths of the Dead

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sat Oct 27 22:04:51 PDT 2007

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, Davdi Silverrock wrote:

> [ spoilers for /Dzur/ ]
> [ lurk below ]
> [ be warned ]
>

> On 10/16/07, Philip Hart wrote:
>>

>> Verra says he couldn't have made it through sane so she brainwashed him.
>> I think that counts as a mark on the nano scale.
>
> I think it would be worthwhile to consider Verra's statement about her
> motivations as being at least misleading, if not completely false.

I suspect that we will find Verra's motivations to be based on necessity
from her POV (that is, mostly overlapping with Vlad's except as concerns
strategy or his own welfare) with a slight admixture of fondness for a
good tool.  Devera (who I'm disinclined to distrust) says Verra's action
was necessary.

Perhaps Vlad learned things in the Paths that would be of use against
her, and she wiped him (poorly for some reason) and Morrolan to protect
herself, and Devera's just lying, but that seems less Cool.

> How would the memory of a stature of Kieron, and Morrolan performing a
> ritual before it, threaten Vlad's sanity, one wonders?

I assumed this was collateral damage.

>> Unless I'm confused Morrolan gets the same treatment.  I wonder about
>> Zerika.
>
> Most likely.  Why would she be immune?  Hm.  Unless the Orb itself can
> counteract said memory-tampering?

I discounted that since it was pre-Orb.  Phoenixes may get dispensation
for whatever reason - well, presumably for Orb-picking-up purposes.

> I also wonder about Aliera.  Does the same blood-effect that lets her
> walk out of the Paths give her immunity from mind-hacking?

She doesn't enter the Paths (ok, her soul does, but it's not sentient)
so she's ok I would think.