[Dragaera] Verra and the Paths of the Dead

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Sun Oct 28 12:39:14 PDT 2007

Maximilian Wilson wrote:

> My objection isn't about casuality--it doesn't matter if Vlad came out of
> the Halls of Judgment before he went in--but in order to wipe a memory, the
> memory must exist in the first place, and it's unlikely that the mere
> process of traversing the PotD would somehow give Vlad access to memories of
> experiences he hasn't yet had, thus necessitating Verra wiping them.
> Besides, wiping them at that point wouldn't do any good, because he would
> just have the actual experience on the way out of the HoJ, negating any
> benefit of the pre-wipe. The objective time line doesn't matter, but Vlad's
> subjective timeline is still linear. That is, we've seen no evidence that
> even Devera can get into "The Man Who Folded Himself"-like situations.

Perhaps the experience, whatever it is, will destroy Vlad's mind, and
it's necessary for Verra to pre-set him to not notice the experience,
whatever it's going to be, and hence not ever form memories of it.  The
memories might be instantly fatal, or something.  Thus the action could
be before the experience, and yet he's still being deprived of an
experience he ought to remember.

The only objection I see is that a precise technician like Verra should
probably call this by a different name than removing a memory after the
fact.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/