[Dragaera] Breaking news - new Joss Whedon / Tim Minear show, Dollhouse

Johne Cook johne.cook at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 08:11:07 PDT 2007

It was the bathroom trip that changed Joss' life.  More on that in the
article.  (And if /that/ isn't a tease, I give up.)

Breaking news, Joss-fans.  First, the good news.  The writing / producing
team is coming back to TV with his pal Tim (Drive) Minear and creating a new
sci-fi series of mind-bending self-realization and female empowerment.
Dollhouse will Eliza Dushku, aka 'Faith' to the fans of the Buffy series.

The bad news?  It's on Fox.  Freakin' FOX. The same network that screwed up
Firefly and cancelled Drive after three episodes, leaving Nathan Fillion
stranded on Wisteria Lane instead of letting him finish his race with
destiny.  Grrr.  However, there is /some/ upside - Dollhouse is guaranteed
for seven episodes, so there will be no three-and-out this time.

http://whedonesque.com/comments/14600
http://tinyurl.com/3586wj.

Here's how Fox describes the series:

> Echo (Eliza Dushku) [is] a young woman who is literally everybody's
> fantasy. She is one of a group of men and women who can be imprinted with
> personality packages, including memories, skills, language—even muscle
> memory—for different assignments. The assignments can be romantic,
> adventurous, outlandish, uplifting, sexual and/or very illegal. When not
> imprinted with a personality package, Echo and the others are basically
> mind-wiped, living like children in a futuristic dorm/lab dubbed the
> Dollhouse, with no memory of their assignments—or of much else. The show
> revolves around the childlike Echo's burgeoning self-awareness, and her
> desire to know who she was before, a desire that begins to seep into her
> various imprinted personalities and puts her in danger both in the field and
> in the closely monitored confines of the Dollhouse.

This sounds freaky cool.  I've read a book by F. Paul Wilson about a similar
setup, and I love the premise.  I know Joss can craft a killer show.  What I
don't know is if Fox will let us get good and hooked before ripping my heart
out and stomping it on the ground.  I mean, really, if there were ever a
network practically known for schadenfruede, it would be them.

--
johne cook - wisconsin, usa