[Dragaera] Authorized swag...

Elizabeth Dalton dalton_0907 at gaeacoop.org
Thu Nov 29 06:35:41 PST 2007

Regarding the links Steve H. posted, the company that makes the first
two products, "Rocket T-Shirts," also has a "subtle wizard" quote
t-shirt for sale that doesn't even list Steve Brust as the author of the
quote or in any other way recognize the source. To top it off, there's a
copyright statement on the shirt giving credit to someone else.

I think there's a fine line somewhere between fan-created content
inspired by an author's works that acknowledges the source, and products
that make use of the popularity of an author's work with no attempt
whatsoever to recognize (much less compensate) the author.

The third product Steve H. posted, which has original art depicting a
jhereg, was created by a wonderful artist who has volunteered to allow
one of her pieces to be used in the shop, has suggested a way for Steve
to gather some of the income of the items she sells via the CP Affiliate
program, AND will place a link in her shop to point to the Adrilankha
Gift Shop. I think that's a great example of true fan spirit.

I've sent a message to the owner of Rocket T-Shirts via CafePress (which
refused to give me any contact information directly). We'll see if they
react similarly. But given the nature of their store, which carries
mostly rocket-themed products but also contains a number of products
that make use of common science fiction phrases from a variety of
sources with no attribution, I'm not expecting anything much from them.

Elizabeth