[Dragaera] Messianic figures

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Sun Dec 2 09:53:42 PST 2007

Elizabeth Dalton wrote:
> Um. I may reverse myself. Zerika could potentially be a messianic
> figure. She returns alive from the Paths of the Dead with the
> "salvation" of the Empire in the form of the Orb. In the Judaic
> tradition, that might make her a messiah. And when you consider that the
> Jenoine would have figured out that the Orb was missing eventually and
> then attacked and presumably destroyed or enslaved the humans and/or
> dragaerans, she might even be a messiah in more spiritual terms.

Zerika probably is the closest thing to a messiah that Dragaerans
have... A rebirth, sparking a change in social ideology, persecution
from the powers that be until a Constantine-like figure (in this case
Morrolan) can be persuaded to fight in her name... But these are really
just superficial similarities. None of these parallels really carry the
same weight as Christian mythology.

Really, in a world where questions of life after death and the existence
of an immortal soul are as mundane as the question of what to have for
dinner, or the existence of the corner klava shop, I would postulate
that a Christ-like figure cannot really carry the same significance.