[Dragaera] Attribution on swag items... things to consider

Elizabeth Dalton dalton_0907 at gaeacoop.org
Fri Jan 4 11:48:52 PST 2008

I'm of a somewhat mixed opinion on this myself. I want to do right by
Steve, and I want to keep the fans happy (without which, of course, the
items won't sell and he still gets nothing). I'm hoping with some
thought, we can do both.

I have, in fact, seen many shirts with copyright and trademark notices,
including a series of shirts with Zelazny quotes from Ambercon a number
of years back. One reason I've been so adamant about including a
copyright or trademark notice on these shirts and other items is because
there are items being sold out there with no attribution, which Steve
gets nothing from. Some just use words like "klava" and "Adrilankha," or
use the word "Jhereg" in the item title, but one has the full "subtle
wizard" quote with no attribution (and an absurd illustration of an
entirely unsubtle wizard with no knife in sight). I think it's important
to differentiate the items Steve does get compensated for from the
knock-offs, and it can also be important from a legal sense to protect
his ideas, if he ends up having to ask someone to remove items from sale
that are using his words or characters without any credit or
compensation whatsoever. If you don't protect trademarks, you lose them.

That being said, I can appreciate the point about the notices being
distracting. Let's continue to brainstorm.

CafePress doesn't offer printing on the back of dark shirts, and charges
extra for printing on the back of other shirts. They don't offer
printing on the sleeves at all, but if they ever do, I'm sure there will
be a surcharge.

I could certainly make the text of the copyright notices smaller. I'd
like them to be legible, but they needn't be legible from much distance,
I suppose. Most of them are at 24pt type now on shirts. I could try
reducing to 18pt or 16pt. I'd like to avoid having to order several test
items to check for legibility, as that costs me money out of pocket (and
I don't get paid for any of this, remember). Would someone care to offer
a comment about legibility and size based on shirts so far?

On the other hand, let's suppose someone isn't currently a Brust fan,
and sees a really cool quote on a shirt or button. Wouldn't it be nice
for them to know where to get more of the same? Steve doesn't get a ton
of money from these items, due to the nature of print-on-demand swag. A
lot of the benefit to him is likely the power they have to help spread
the word about his books.

What about printing the notices in smaller text, sideways on the edge of
the design? Would that be more or less distracting? (I think it might
depend on the design...)

Another thought is that for actual quotes, it may be more important and
less distracting to include the attribution visibly than for "gag" items
like "got klava?" and "What would Sethra do?" Again, if you don't
protect trademarks, you lose them, so I think some kind of notice is
appropriate, but it could be much smaller and integrated visually into
the design more.

Naturally, if Steve himself wants to weigh in here, I'll do whatever he
prefers, but in the absence of his input, let's see if we can come up
with a good solution (or set of solutions) to meet everyone's needs.

--
Elizabeth Dalton
Support Steven Brust!