[Dragaera] Attribution on swag items... things to consider

Elizabeth Dalton dalton_0907 at gaeacoop.org
Fri Jan 4 13:14:44 PST 2008

I heard from Steve. He likes the attribution, but thinks a full
copyright notice is overkill. So, based on that and other input, I plan
to change the quotes over to an attribution consisting of "-- Steven
Brust" with the name of the book, if it seems appropriate. It'll take a
few days to do this on all the items, but they'll get done eventually.

Now regarding the "snowclone" humor items, e.g. "got klava?" and "What
would Sethra do?" I'm less sure, and Steve wasn't able to express a
preference. That's where the notice seems the most intrusive, but I
still feel some kind of attribution would be a good idea. I'm currently
favoring small text saying "From the works of Steven Brust" or something
similar, as unobtrusively incorporated into the design as possible. What
do you folks think?

Finally, what about the Cycle and House items? We have two elements to
consider, the graphics and the text. If the text is from Steve's poem,
it's a quote and can be handled as above. If it's from Mark's poem, he's
asked for a copyright notice. The graphic designs are mine and are CCNC
(Creative Commons Non-Commercial), intended to allow re-use if people
want, e.g. in a wiki or as an avatar, just not resale. I'm willing to
reduce the size of the attribution text on the Cycle images. (I also
heard that at least one person wants the Cycle image with no text... is
that a common desire?)

But no House items have sold at all yet... does anyone even want these
items? Should I stop working on them? I've had fun trying to think about
different ways to express the character of each House using fonts,
colors, and text layout, but if no one else is interested, I shouldn't
waste time on this.

On the other hand, if someone out there has a better idea for House
shirts, and wants to use the silhouettes I put together from public
domain and CC art, I'm happy to share. :)

Your devoted servant,

--
Elizabeth Dalton
Support Steven Brust!