[Dragaera] Attribution on swag items... things to consider

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Fri Jan 4 13:57:51 PST 2008

>But no House items have sold at all yet... does anyone even want these
>items? Should I stop working on them? I've had fun trying to think about
>different ways to express the character of each House using fonts,
>colors, and text layout, but if no one else is interested, I shouldn't
>waste time on this.

I'd approach it as a long-term project, really, and not expect much activity
for awhile. The shop went online close to Hannukwanzamas and some of us are
still pretty broke as a result. :-P  Given the season and Steve's immediate
financial difficulties, it's likely that those inclined to act as patrons
and support his art would do it by a direct contribution rather than a
purchase from a store. Three or four months from now, especially once
_Jhegalla_  hits store shelves, you'll likely find a lot more interest in
swag.

As for the copyright notice discussion, I think that an attribution with
Steve's name and the title of the novel is a better way to go. It should be
small enough that it doesn't distract,but noticable enough to draw someone
in to read what it says. That's not too big a demand, is it? *LOL* I like
the idea, anywho, because it will suggest that the viewer should check out
the book and possibly ask the wearer of the clothing "What is this Jhereg
thing, anyway?"

On another note, in trying to figure out how to work in the word "patron"
without sounding, well, patronizing, I suddenly got a sense for how much
meaning changes over time. "Patronizing" having evolved from being someone
who is supportive of arts or causes or people, to someone who is snobbishly
superior in their attitudes about their support of arts or causes or people.
Damn those bourgoisie! :-P