[Dragaera] LOLDragaera

Margaret Young myoung at albion.edu
Tue Jan 8 15:42:31 PST 2008

I get the sense that (at least for cats) part of the amusement lies in the feeling that many of us have that if cats were aware of the rules of English (or any other human language) they would blithely ignore said rules under the sure knowledge that whatever a cat thinks / does is, of course, the right thing / way. Anyone who has seen a cat fall / stumble / drop something and then proceed to act as if they had intended that to happen would be familiar with that suspicion.

Margaret

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 02:11:15PM -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:
> The lolcat meme is not, in fact, of interest to people of low language
> skills; it's primarily of interest to people with very *high* verbal and
> written language abilities. At least, that's where my pointers to the
> good parts have all come from.

Also, it's worth noting that the big appeal is almost certainly
due to the combination of silly and funny pictures of cats in
absurd poses with amusing captions -- the fact that the captions
are usually written in some combination of "leetspeak" and ... I
don't even know what to call the style that originated with the
infamous "all ur base belongs to us" quote... is actually a bit
of a distraction from the humor.  It's tolerated, I think,
because that's how the whole thing started.  But the language
weirdness is certainly not the source of the amusement for me,
and I do not suspect myself to be unique in this.

(Besides -- since when do cats think in perfect english?)