[Dragaera] LOLDragaera

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 8 15:54:35 PST 2008

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Matthew Hunter wrote:

> Also, it's worth noting that the big appeal is almost certainly
> due to the combination of silly and funny pictures of cats in
> absurd poses with amusing captions -- the fact that the captions
> are usually written in some combination of "leetspeak" and ... I
> don't even know what to call the style that originated with the
> infamous "all ur base belongs to us" quote... is actually a bit
> of a distraction from the humor.

Some people (familiar) with cats and/or small children may find the
"I can has" lingo tugs some threads connecting the two - they are
small, beautiful, willful, occasionally-affectionate, occasionally-
dangerous wild creatures.  For example, "Not want" - e.g.
http://lolcatz.net/categories/category.asp?cid=29
- is an eloquent expression of this idity, and its origin in "Do not want"
from a Chinese translation (?) of Darth Vader's "Nooooo!" at the end
the last Star Wars movie just adds to the humor.