[Dragaera] Gift Shop

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 9 14:35:58 PST 2008

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Jerry Friedman wrote:

> My honored parents, in search of diversion from their cares
> and duties, sojourned at some expense in Dragaera City at just
> that cusp in history when the conflict between Emperor Tortaalik
> and Lord Adron e'Kieron, the Dragon Heir, erupted into open
> rebellion, culminating in the transformation of the city into
> the Lesser Sea of Chaos, and, while I am grateful, indeed, that
> they escaped the Disaster with their lives, I was disappointed
> to receive as a memento of the doomed city only this simple
> garment that you see, of cheap, lightweight fabric with
> truncated sleeves and collar; a mere shirt.
>   --  A certain Gentleman of the House of the Hawk.

This sounds more like Paarfi to me.  I wonder about "I" though.
Doesn't he say ""we" or this writer [historian?]" or something?
If so I'd simplify "while I am grateful" to "while grateful",
and alter "I was disappointed" and perhaps "My".

It might be amusing though overloquacious to note the ages of the
honored parents - "This historian's honored parents, being not yet
3000 years old and seeking diversion from their diminishing duties
and mounting cares, ...".

Maybe toss in "Phoenix" too for the "hmm" factor.