[Dragaera] Gift Shop

Bryan Newell bryann at bryann.net
Thu Jan 10 05:53:14 PST 2008

> > My honored parents, in search of diversion from their cares and
> > duties, sojourned at some expense in Dragaera City at just that cusp
> > in history when the conflict between Emperor Tortaalik and Lord Adron
> > e'Kieron, the Dragon Heir, erupted into open rebellion, culminating in
> > the transformation of the city into the Lesser Sea of Chaos, and,
> > while I am grateful, indeed, that they escaped the Disaster with their
> > lives, I was disappointed to receive as a memento of the doomed city
> > only this simple garment that you see, of cheap, lightweight fabric
> > with truncated sleeves and collar; a mere shirt.
> >   --  A certain Gentleman of the House of the Hawk.
>
> This sounds more like Paarfi to me.  I wonder about "I" though.
> Doesn't he say ""we" or this writer [historian?]" or something?
> If so I'd simplify "while I am grateful" to "while grateful", and alter
> "I was disappointed" and perhaps "My".
>
> It might be amusing though overloquacious to note the ages of the honored
> parents - "This historian's honored parents, being not yet 3000 years old
> and seeking diversion from their diminishing duties and mounting cares,
> ...".

How about:

Our honored parents, having not yet reached their three thousandth year, and
seeking diversion from their diminishing duties and mounting cares,
sojourned at some expense in Dragaera City at just that cusp in history when
the conflict between the Emperor Tortaalik I and Lord Adron e'Kieron, the
Dragon Heir, erupted into open rebellion, culminating in the storied*
transformation of the former capital of the Empire into the Lesser Sea of
Chaos, and, while we are grateful that they escaped the Disaster with their
lives, we are nonetheless disappointed to have received as memento of the
doomed city nothing more than this simple garment that you see before you,
fashioned, as it were, of a cheap, lightweight fabric with truncated sleeves
and collar.
  --  Paarfi of Roundwood
      a suitably Dragaeran date
      maybe his seal (if someone can come up with one)
(in finer print)
* most prominently by Paarfi himself

> Maybe toss in "Phoenix" too for the "hmm" factor.

?

Bryan