[Dragaera] Almost Paarfict?

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 12:49:36 PST 2008

I am doing a single multi-reply rather than several separate e-mails.

On Jan 17, 2008 8:01 AM, Philip Hart wrote:

> I dislike garment/shirt - the latter word wouldn't be a discovery to
> the speaker following the former.  If you call it an
> unremarkably-decorated piece of thin common fabric that can be
> perceived to be some sort of shirt, you preserve the surprise of
> the last word.

Hm.  I am not sure that the last word needs to be a surprise.
Especially since if we go with the short version, the entire phrase
will be excised.

On Jan 17, 2008 8:25 AM, Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood wrote:

> I think "which, you perceive, is a mere shirt." would have more punch
> than "some sort of shirt."

Perhaps...   I think "sort of" is more ironic.  It helps emphasize
that the shirt is not much of one; it has the quality of shirtness,
but little more.

On Jan 17, 2008 10:40 AM, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> Or is trying to cram "Nearly" in there one Paarfiism too many?

No, no, I agree...  I nearly think that "nearly" ought to be in there
somewhere.  But I think it would be funnier/more snarky before
"unremarkable".  See my next revision...

On Jan 17, 2008 10:59 AM, Rick Castello wrote:

>      Better, but same comment as before... too long, even for Paarfi.
>
>      Consider our source:
>      "My parents went to neat place and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"
>
>      In many ways, the "punch" of a phrase or bit comes from squeezing
>      power into conciseness.  Obviously, Paarfi wouldn't be concise,
>      but the concept of refining and focusing maximal strength of humor
>      in the bit is still useful.

Or as Paarfi might say, /honing/ the text.

Well, there is a point there.