[Dragaera] Typesetting punctuation - 2 spaces or one? (was: Re: A Paarfict Storm)

Geri Sullivan gfs at toad-hall.com
Sun Jan 20 13:06:29 PST 2008

At 11:52 AM -0800 1/20/08, Rick Castello wrote:

>      I don't work in the business, and had made only note of a change in this
>      regard in subtle passing - when did this happen, and why?
>
>      I'm curious.

Just what's changed is a matter of perspective. I don't know the full
history -- a single space after periods was the established
typographic style when I got into the design field in the early
1980s. Looking back, I see that single space was the standard used by
American Type Founders in their 1923 Specimen Book and Catalog. It's
an 1,100+ page work of remarkable beauty (for font geeks, anyway). It
starts out proclaiming and explaining "why the printing of 1923 is
superior to that of 1900." There was still a hyphen in "to-day" at
that time, but only a single space after each period.

There appears to have been a period in the 1800s and early 1900s when
a second space became the norm. I have several other books from the
1920s through 1940s that were typeset with a second space. The books
were printed (and presumably typeset) in the US and the UK, and
include industry volumes such as "Lettering for Printers & Designers"
and "Printers' Accounts."  The books I checked from the 1940s had a
mix, some with two spaces, some with one. I only have a few books
readily at hand from the 1950s and early '60s, but all of those went
with a single space after periods.

 From "The Elements of Typographic Style Applied to the Web":

"In the nineteenth century, which was a dark and inflationary age in
typography and type design, many compositors were encouraged to stuff
extra space between sentences. Generations of twentieth century
typists were then taught to do the same, by hitting the spacebar
twice after every period [full stop]. Your typing as well as your
typesetting will benefit from unlearning this quaint Victorian habit.
As a general rule, no more than a single space is required after a
period, colon or any other mark of punctuation."

http://tinyurl.com/2nygva

Another web page blames high school typing teachers for the use and
proliferation of the second space. That makes sense in terms of how
it carried into the age of desktop publishing, since most people
doing computer layout are not trained or experienced typographers.

There's also a good overview of the basic arguments for and against
in the "Spacing after Full Stop" section of the Wikipedia article on
full stops (periods):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_stop

Geri
Geri Sullivan     gfs at toad-hall.com