[Dragaera] Typesetting punctuation - 2 spaces or one? (was: Re: A Paarfict

John Dallman jgd at cix.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 14:54:00 PST 2008

In article <p0610052cc3b9613e72b1@[192.168.1.100]>, gfs at toad-hall.com
(Geri Sullivan) wrote:

> Another web page blames high school typing teachers for the use and
> proliferation of the second space. That makes sense in terms of how
> it carried into the age of desktop publishing, since most people
> doing computer layout are not trained or experienced typographers.

I certainly learned the habit from a high-school-equivalent typing
teacher. I unlearned it again, since I mostly learnt DTP from the
Ventura Publisher manuals, which were quite clear up-front that it was
wrong with proportional fonts. Oh, and hi, Geri.

--
John Dallman, jgd at cix.co.uk, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.