[Dragaera] Typesetting punctuation - 2 spaces or one?

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Sun Jan 20 13:37:04 PST 2008

Rick Castello wrote:

>      I don't work in the business, and had made only note of a change in this
>      regard in subtle passing - when did this happen, and why?
>
>      I'm curious.

Arguably it never happened.

Let me go back a bit.

Originally, typesetting conventions, involving letter widths and
punctuation placement and so forth, evolved rather organically from
scribe's conventions for writing by hand.  Printing regularized these
conventions a lot, because of the vastly larger number of copies of
things floating around.  Also literacy was on the increase, and having
the conventions (especially spelling) more stable benefited those for
whom letters were one minor skill rather than their entire profession.
It's pretty universally accepted that spacing after a period in a
typeset document is *NOT* automatically two en-spaces.  (Exactly what it
is is a question of book design really, though the book designer may
leave it to the font designer; whichever path is taken, the space
resulting is nearly always considerably smaller than two en-spaces.)

Then the typewriter came along.  The typewriter was very limited; all
characters were exactly the same width, including that poor litter dot
known as the "period".  It was, however, both far faster (with only
moderate training) and far more legible than handwriting, so it very
quickly took over the professional production of original text.  (Samuel
Clemens was almost certainly the first author to submit a typewritten
manuscript to a publisher.)

Books, however, were still typeset in proportional fonts (and that seems
likely to remain true; fixed-width fonts were a technological limitation
of typewriters, not a "feature").   So conventions had to be invented
for producing the correct results when the manuscript went to the
typesetters.  In manuscript form (typewritten), the punctuation ending a
sentence must be followed by two spaces. Those conventions are now well
over 100 years old, and are pretty firmly embedded into all aspects of
the industry.

Recently (last couple of decades), authors have started writing on
computers.  Even more recently, it has sometimes been possible for
authors to submit a manuscript by email.  In fiction publishing, at
least the bits I'm familiar with, a paper manuscript is *also* required,
however; sometimes perhaps the editor is willing to print it at their
end, but the workflow for revisions, line edit, poor-freeding, and the
process of book design and markup are all dependent on the paper
manuscript.

We are really only now first living in an era when typeset documents are
directly produced by enough individuals for questions of proper form to
come up.  At the same time, professionals in the field are still dealing
with the old manuscript form for most of their work.   To complicate
things even more, sometimes authors want to print both standard
manuscript form pages, and "reading copy" pages (formatted for
convenient reading by people who will NOT be making extensive markup on
the pages), from the same files.  Worse, they want to do it in Word (it
was quite easy in Borland Sprint, or even Ami Pro).

People used to typing on typewriters tend to pretty automatically hit
two spaces after a period, so lots of WP files have that in them, even
if they're using a proportional font where it's not really appropriate.

So now suddenly people are talking about these questions again; often
from unexpected directions, even.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info