[Dragaera] one word per line

Rick Castello rick at punk.net
Mon Jan 28 10:29:50 PST 2008

On Sun, January 27, 2008 6:04 pm, Maximilian Wilson wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2008 12:49 PM, Mark A. Mandel <thnidu at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> This makes three that I know of, and it's no longer funny.
>>
>> I am composing my replies in Yahoo mail, inside Firefox v2.0.0.11, under
>> Windows XP Professional on a widescreen Lenovo T61 ThinkPad that's about 6
>> months old. Any suggestions or ideas would be VERY, VERY WELCOME!! And I am
>> deliberately making this post without any formatting, but leaving in all the
>> quoted stuff as evidence.
>>
>> As I type this, Maximilian's message, as quoted below by the Yahoomail
>> Reply interface, is a single line with normal formatting. To quote our
>> favorite Emperor, Let's see what happens...
>>

> This one came through normally. You mentioned that you sometimes compose
> messages outside of Yahoomail (Wordpad) and paste them in. I wonder if that
> could affect things.
>
> -Max

     Likely, yes.  Especially if you use the "new" Yahoo mail client that
     I believe is based on Zimbra.

     It's meant to be a close analogue to Outlook web mail, and as such,
     I wouldn't be surprised if it sees, keeps, and reproduces all the
     crappy hidden (rtf) formatting characters that Word and Wordpad like
     to hide away.

     If you're going to compose in an off-line text editor, there are many
     free open-source readers that do all that WordPad can (and more) but
     let you *choose* which encoding and charset you'll be using.  :)
     (http://www.jedit.org/ gets bonus points for being Java-based and
     running on most platforms)

     -Rick