[Dragaera] Sethra Lavode's Words on War

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 16:17:56 PST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 10:25 AM, Morgan wrote:

> So, I was talking to one of my friends about the points about war Sethra makes in /Dragon/.
> Unfortunately, I have loaned the book to my brother, and I can't actually look up her exact
> wording on it (mostly on the points that the defender starts the war, and that the goal of war
> is peace). Anyway, if someone could help me find those quotes, I'd be very, very happy.

Amazon search inside works rather well.  I'm just saying.

The most important pages appear to be 204-205:

"Peace is the goal of war."

"Until there is peace, you haven't won. That is, you haven't
accomplished your goals.

"After all, it's always the defender who starts the war."

"It isn't that complicated. The attacker doesn't want war. The
attacker wants to conquer. If the defender would simply allow him to
do so there would be no war."

Clausewitz (allegedly) says:

"The Conqueror is always a lover of peace: he would prefer to take
over our country unopposed."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Carl_von_Clausewitz

I don't see anything about the defender starting the war, although I
might be missing a variant wording