[Dragaera] Sethra Lavode's Words on War

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 23:04:34 PST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 6:25 PM, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:

> It tends to imply that culpability for the war lies entirely with the
> defender...when in fact, the aggressor is at least as culpable. Just
> because it's technically true that the defender has the *option* to roll
> over and accept defeat without a fight, it can be stated they are
> ultimately responsible for the state of war... Without the aggressor,
> there is no need for the defender to have to make that choice.

Having not read Clausewitz, my take on Sethra's words was that she was
discussing tactics, not culpability. The defender has the initiative
because he/she can choose where the fighting starts and on what terms.
You occupy the Pepperfields because anyone who chooses to attack you
there will be fighting at a disadvantage. Alternatively, you might
fall back from an attacking army until you reach favorable terrain.
The defender gets to choose--the attacker would probably love it in
most cases if he could make the defender stand still and fight a
pitched battle, and in many cases only an idiot defender would do such
a thing. You'd rather use that time to mobilize troops, maneuver, etc.

Note that technology changes strategy, and in a war where offense
outweighs defense heavily enough that there's no useful defense (ICBM
warfare), the attacker is once again the one who "starts" the war.

-Max

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a
man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and

Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.