[Dragaera] No traffic since February?

Margaret Young myoung at albion.edu
Thu Mar 13 12:23:26 PDT 2008

Thanks Michele — and my sympathies (concerns?) for what you went
through.

One of the things that I found fascinating about the way in which the
Vlad/Cawti breakup was portaryed was the way in which Vlad wasn't shown
as responding "like a man" if you know what I mean. So, here he is, an
assasin, an enforcer — and yet there was only a sense of how powerless
and physically ill he felt about the whole situation. He couldn't (and
didn't think) he could make the problem go away by being tough, he
didn't feel that his pain diminished his manhood — it just hurt.

Margaret

>>> "Michele Riccio" <mr1 at rcosta.com> 3/13/2008 3:04:45 PM >>>
On 12 Mar 2008 at 16:47, Margaret Young wrote

> Academics do think of it as work, even if it is work they (and other
> members of the audience) enjoy, in the sense that it takes cognitive
> energy. I guess that for those of us who enjoy it — that is what
we
> look to entertainment for --rather than to be narcotized.
>
> As for Buffy — yeah, I remember those moments with joy.
>
> Except, of course, Joyce getting her tumour (that is, no joy)  —
> which she found out about the very day that I found out I had a
> tumour....one of the amazing things is how well Joss nailed down the
> exact way one feels at those moments. I was more fortunate than
Joyce
> in the aftermath but like the smell of Proust's Madeleine all I need
> do is rewatch those episodes to remember those feelings. And to
> understand them a bit better.
>
> Margaret

Glad it turned out well for you!

I agree, there were a lot of things Joss managed to put across, subtly,

but accurately.

I had similar feelings when Vlad and Cawti split and I was going
through a break up.  It's an odd, feeling, but comforting too in its
way.

Michele Riccio
mr1 at rcosta.com