[Dragaera] No traffic since February?

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Mar 17 14:07:20 PDT 2008

>I need to re-read, but I'm under the impression that Cawti never
>differentiated between human and non-human assassinations - and
>that this bothered Vlad.  But perhaps you're correct and he was her
>"first".

>I think that reading of her bothers me more though.  She was OK with
>killing non-human sentients - despite her "best friend" being just that?

Vlad was Cawti's first and only.  I'm taking the risk of commenting without
books handy, but my recollection is that during the Teckla/Phoenix
situation, Vlad threw that in Cawti's face one time. IMO, what he didn't
seem to "get" is that the experience of doing that and the shame that
attached to it for her was one of the factors that eventually drove her to
Kelly's "revolution" looking for a kind of absolution.

Cawti's willingness to kill Dragaeran's arises from causes unknown, but when
her partner was a Dragaeran who was willing to do the same thing, I see it
being less of a moral quandry for her. Both Vlad and Cawti (presumably) had
grown up in South Adrilankha where life was cheap, and the signs of "evil"
underbelly of the Empire were always near at hand. It would hardly be
surprising that neither of them would feel particularly fondly about
Dragaerans in general or feel a great deal of compunction about murdering
the people who sneered at their own people, kept them down, beat them and,
yes, murdered them indiscriminately whenever it suited them. In fact, that
sense of cultural identity is what would make it "criminal" to turn against
your own kind, while condoning or at least absolving violence against the
oppresors. The fact that each of them had made fast friends with individual
members of the oppressors wouldn't matter. It's a mark of the human race
that we can easily develop one set of rules to cover a certain subset of
humanity while still allowing for exceptions to the rule for members of that
same subset who recognize our own humanity.

Compare their upbringing with that of an Easterner family who, say, was
brought up in a household like Khaavren's. Still servants and lower than
low, but treated fairly and, more importantly, treated as people and maybe
even treated as semi-interesting people. These theoretical Easterners, whose
short lifespans relative to Dragaerans would insure several generations
passing within the lifespan of a single Dragaeran lord, would probably grow
up revering "their" Dragaerans in much the same manner as a Teckla revered,
feared, and otherwise dealt with his lord. In fact, our theoretical
"country" Easterners would probably BE Teckla for all practical purposes,
whether they'd officially joined the House or not.

Vlad and Cawti are products of the inner city slum and their attitudes
reflect that. Here again, part of the conflict each faces is that they have
become prosperous enough to move up in the world and the world they have
moved up into is not their own. Cawti, whatever her reasons, has seen this
and deplores it while Vlad, much as a doctor must become hardened to the
suffering of his patients in order to perform his duties adequately, has
become hardened to the sufferings of his fellow Easterners in order to
survive at his chosen vocation.

Cawti's flaw is that she gets roped into Kelly's proletariat revolution. She
is not cut out to be Lenin or Marx. With her background and conviction, she
should have been Malcolm X. Vlad could even have approved of that and joined
that crusade alongside her, I think. Maybe she'll make that intuitive leap
one day, and realize that there's more than one way to stage a revolution
and that you can change the world by forcing it to change the way it deals
with you instead of changing the world by attempting to destroy it and
remake it.