[Dragaera] Ten New Questions after Dzur. [Dzur Spoilers]

Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood dalton_0907 at gaeacoop.org
Tue Mar 18 10:56:26 PDT 2008

Scott Crain wrote:

> 4. Jhereg Right
>
> I think so.  I think that with Teldra helping Vlad out, he'll be able
> to negotiate much more smoothly.  (And with Teldra there, negotiate
> from a position of power.)  Perhaps with a job or two, and especially
> with Vlad learning again to hate Dragaerans in general and like a few
> in specific, he'll be able to get the death mark lifted, and go back
> to work for the Right Hand.
>
> I know -I- would like that.

I don't think he can "go back" to what he was before. Even by the time
of _Athyra_, too much has changed (perhaps we'll find out why this
summer when _Jhegaala_ comes out). I don't personally see Vlad working
for the Jhereg again, even if he manages to get a truce (with either
hand). And Vlad is obviously still able to kill, but I don't think he'll
do it for hire again.

Whatever Sethra or Verra may be planning for Vlad, I think he's going to
end up having a radical effect on the structure of the Cycle. Probably
not the way Cawti is intending, but at least of that magnitude. Again, I
suspect the Cycle is there to provide something the gods need, and the
justification for the gods is as a defense against the Jenoine. Vlad
(with Lady Teldra's help) has already killed one Jenoine. What if at
some point there are no more of them? Would that remove the
justification for the gods and/or the Cycle?

Scott Schultz wrote:

 > It would be interesting to find out the status of Easterners who
 > managed to settle in Greenaire or Elbe Island, outside of the Empire
 > and its built-in prejudices. Just how atypical is Aiban in respect to
 > his categorization of Vlad as a "dwarf", but otherwise treating him as
 > a human being like himself?

Yes, this would be very interesting. I myself am wondering if Greenaere
or Elde might have been the site of the original Jenoine experiments.
After all, the islands are to the west (and humans are "Easterners"),
"Elde" might mean "old," indicating an origin point, and the islands are
cut off from sorcery by the concentration of phoenix stone, which the
Jenoine might have thought would make their experiments easier to
control. I note also that Verra, at least, may have difficulty
manifesting there, indicating that she may have had a conflict with
someone capable of killing a god at that location in some time in the
past. Alternatively, the islands may be considered a "control" group in
an experiment the gods are running with the Empire (or that the Jenoine
are still running with both the gods and the Empire).

Do we know yet what time frame _Iorich_ will be set in?

--
Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood
Support Steven Brust!