[Dragaera] Ten New Questions after Dzur. [Dzur Spoilers]

Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood dalton_0907 at gaeacoop.org
Thu Mar 20 19:02:49 PDT 2008

Michael Wojcik wrote:
> Also, part of the appeal of Great Weapons and other Morganti blades,
> for the reader, is that they represent finality. A world with
> resurrection and reincarnation needs some sort of real threat. If
> it turned out that Great Weapons routinely hang onto the souls of
> folks they kill, that would undermine their value as plot devices a
> bit - and, for me, seem a bit of a cheat.

I think there's a distinction between Great Weapons and other Morganti
blades, in that when a Morganti blade is used, the soul is gone, whereas
with a Great Weapon there may be ways to retrieve it. However, one might
have needed to specify this *before* using the Great Weapon. Vlad didn't
specify anything; he just didn't want the oncoming spell to hit him. So
Lady Teldra acted independently, and apparently destroyed the soul.

I find that vaguely surprising, actually. I know she's a Great Weapon
now, but still, it seems out of character, given what we learned about
Lady Teldra and her ability to like those around her. Perhaps she was
being particularly protective of Vlad in this case, and so didn't count
the sorceress as someone to like. Or perhaps it's the inherent nature of
the Great Weapon acting on its own because she isn't really "awake" yet.

Regarding Morrolan, I think he may be upset about what happened to
Teldra, more than being angry with Vlad about it. Someone can be upset
and unable to face a situation without blaming anyone unduly. Seeing
Vlad wearing the blade would really confront Morrolan with Teldra's loss.

--
ErzésŽbet of Catspirit Wood
Support Steven Brust!