[Dragaera] Ten New Questions after Dzur. [Dzur Spoilers]

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Mar 21 11:00:08 PDT 2008

From: Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood <dalton_0907 at gaeacoop.org>

> I think there's a distinction between Great Weapons and other Morganti
> blades, in that when a Morganti blade is used, the soul is gone, whereas
> with a Great Weapon there may be ways to retrieve it. However, one might
> have needed to specify this *before* using the Great Weapon. Vlad didn't
> specify anything; he just didn't want the oncoming spell to hit him. So
> Lady Teldra acted independently, and apparently destroyed the soul.
>
> I find that vaguely surprising, actually. I know she's a Great Weapon
> now, but still, it seems out of character, given what we learned about
> Lady Teldra and her ability to like those around her. Perhaps she was
> being particularly protective of Vlad in this case, and so didn't count
> the sorceress as someone to like. Or perhaps it's the inherent nature of
> the Great Weapon acting on its own because she isn't really "awake" yet.

Don't forget the other aspect of the Issola... That they can suddenly strike, and there's the fish in the bird's mouth without you even realizing that it had moved.  When prompted, they can strike suddenly, violently, and without warning. This seems entirely "appropriate" for Lady Teldra. You just don't see that side of her very often. Unless she's stabbing a Jenoine in the back with a Morganti blade, or something.

> Regarding Morrolan, I think he may be upset about what happened to
> Teldra, more than being angry with Vlad about it. Someone can be upset
> and unable to face a situation without blaming anyone unduly. Seeing
> Vlad wearing the blade would really confront Morrolan with Teldra's loss.

I agree. It's not really that Morrolan is angry with Vlad, per se, he's angry and grieving over the events as they unfolded. Vlad was an unfortunate part of those events, so he's rolled up in all the intense and mixed emotions that Morrolan is going through.

The end result, however, is that he doesn't want to face Vlad right now... And has been pointed out elsewhere, there's not telling how long this attitude might last. It's certainly conceivable that it could go on for longer than Vlad does.

Somehow I doubt that Vlad's really seen the last of Morrolan, however. It will be interesting to see how Morrolan overcomes his grief.