[Dragaera] How are Teckla Republics formed?

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Mar 31 08:27:34 PDT 2008

> Usage varies, but I believe as a term of art in political science, it
> means government by a group of elected representatives: so ultimate
> power rests (in theory) with the electorate, but executive authority
> with their representatives. (This against direct democracy, where
> executive and/or legislative decisions are made directly by the
> electorate.)

It's worth noting that a system of government by democratically elected
representatives doesn't neccesarily imply that you have a lot of choice in
who you vote for. The last R of U.S.S.R. stood for "Republics" and people
DID elect their representatives, even if the choices were all from the
Communist Party.

It's even possible that a "Teckla Republic" might not be a Teckla government
in anything but name. In one of the books it's mentioned in an off-hand
manner that House Teckla doesn't keep an Imperial Representative under
normal circumstances. They designate one of  the other Houses to act on
their behalf instead. I can imagine a "Teckla" government that is brought
about by a coup within the Palace that results in a kind of Imperial Senate
with a Teckla wielding the Orb as a figurehead. The people running the show
would, for all practical purposes, be a council made up of a representatives
of all of the noble Houses. Life for the Teckla would be no different under
such a government than under any other House's government.

To answer the question "Why wouldn't they vote for a Teckla candidate?",
I'll simply offer two quotes:

1) "You mean they actually vote for the lizards?" "Oh yes," said Ford with a
shrug, "of course." "But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard
might get in. Got any gin?" -- Douglas Adams, _So Long and Thanks for All
the Fish_

2) "Don't blame me! I voted for Kodos!" -- Homer Simposon