[Dragaera] How are Teckla Republics formed?

Michael Wojcik mwojcik at newsguy.com
Sun Mar 30 12:30:35 PDT 2008

Jerry Friedman wrote:
> --- Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Does a Teckla "republic" eventually devolve into a republic in name
>> only?
>
> What does a state need to be a republic, beside not being
> ruled by a hereditary monarch?

Usage varies, but I believe as a term of art in political science, it
means government by a group of elected representatives: so ultimate
power rests (in theory) with the electorate, but executive authority
with their representatives. (This against direct democracy, where
executive and/or legislative decisions are made directly by the
electorate.) Our "republic" comes from Latin "respublica", which
literally means something like "the people's thing".

That leaves room for all sorts of forms of government. There might
have been a Teckla republic similar to the US federal government, with
separately elected executive and legislative branches; there might
have been one more along the modern European system, with an elected
legislature itself choosing the executive; one with executive
decisions made by a council; and so on.

--
Michael Wojcik