[Dragaera] The Red Badge of Courage

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 09:06:07 PDT 2008

Not to nag, but I still see no mention of "She wouldn't
wreck her own reed" in /Athyra/, Chapter 7.

Ophelia: ...But, good my brother,
Do not, as some ungracious pastors do,
Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven;
Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine,
Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads,
And recks not his own rede.

/Hamlet/, I. 3.

Goes nicely with the true, true salad flax.

Or, for that matter, the reference to the High Reaches of
the Dragon Wing, and other connections to McCaffrey's
dragon books.

http://lists.dragaera.info/htdig.cgi/dragaera-dragaera.info/2008q1/003818.html

Cracks in the Orb!  I didn't mention an obvious reference to
Pern.  Two quotations from /The White Dragon/ (1978):

"'Great Shells and Shards!'  Robinton slapped his
forehead."  (p. 603, /The Dragonriders of Pern/ omnibus).

"'Shards, but I can't go another step for a while!'"
(p. 696, that's Piemur)

Jerry Friedman