[Dragaera] How are Teckla Republics formed?

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Thu Mar 27 15:47:11 PDT 2008

From: "Scott Schultz" <scott at cjhunter.com>
> It's a speculative question, given the lack of actual data, but I've
> recently been wondering just what it is that inspires the change-over to a
> Teckla Republic, aside from the obvious metaphysical events associated with
> the turning of the Cycle?

I've always wondered what happens to the Orb during the Teckla reign.

Obviously, since the Empire doesn't (presumably) collapse during these times, SOMEONE is still wearing the thing, and acting as "Emperor". Is a Teckla Emperor merely a figurehead with no officially recognized power? Is this an elected official, instead? If so, what happens if a new official is elected? How does one ensure the peaceful transition of power when the "outgoing" president (or whatever) has the power to obliterate the newcomer's brain with the power of the Orb? Does the Orb itself take a hand in this process, perhaps?

Does a Teckla "republic" eventually devolve into a republic in name only? What happens to the nobility? Are they allowed to keep their lands? Allowed to continue to exercise taxation on their Teckla Serfs?

There's a ton of unknowns here. I'd be very interested in having Steve explore these issues at some point. Unfortunately, with Teckla far down on the Cycle at Vlad's time, this seems unlikely to happen.