[Dragaera] How are Teckla Republics formed?

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 21:45:15 PDT 2008

--- Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:

> I've always wondered what happens to the Orb during the Teckla reign.

I've wondered about that too.
> Obviously, since the Empire doesn't (presumably) collapse during these
> times, SOMEONE is still wearing the thing, and acting as "Emperor".

Or the Orb is at the disposal of some kind of council.

> Is a
> Teckla Emperor merely a figurehead with no officially recognized power?
> Is this an elected official, instead? If so, what happens if a new
> official is elected? How does one ensure the peaceful transition of
> power when the "outgoing" president (or whatever) has the power to
> obliterate the newcomer's brain with the power of the Orb? Does the Orb
> itself take a hand in this process, perhaps?

It certainly could.  At the end of FHYA, as I recall, the Orb
goes through the process of selecting a successor.  Maybe it
does all the selecting during a Teckla reign.

If there are elections, there might be only one election at
the beginning of the republic (unless the Doge dies).  As is
said of certain "democracies" in the real world, "One person,
one vote, one time in your life."

> Does a Teckla "republic" eventually devolve into a republic in name
> only?

What does a state need to be a republic, beside not being
ruled by a hereditary monarch?

> What happens to the nobility? Are they allowed to keep their
> lands? Allowed to continue to exercise taxation on their Teckla Serfs?

It's hard for me to imagine any other possibilities.  Very
few Teckla even seem to think themselves capable of owning
land.

> There's a ton of unknowns here. I'd be very interested in having Steve
> explore these issues at some point. Unfortunately, with Teckla far down
> on the Cycle at Vlad's time, this seems unlikely to happen.

It's more likely to happen as "That has never been tried
since the Affair of the Patched Dungarees in the Eleventh
Teckla Reign," with a few details let slip.

Jerry Friedman