[Dragaera] New member introduction

Tom Foolery tomasfoolery at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 10:09:35 PDT 2008

Awesome!  Thanks for the welcome.

Forgive the wordy nature of this email.

Ok!  First and foremost, I understand that patterns can be found in chaos so
some of the things I may see as proof may have just been luck or
happenstance on the part of the author.  I also can imagine that not
everything is planned.  So I could be trying to teach a tiassa to whistle...
or would chreotha be a better substitute for this?  Anyway.

One of the most fascinating things I've read about this universe is that it
feels like we are in the middle of the storyline at anytime.  With that in
mind, I wondered if the story of Vlad Taltos, the overall story from start
to end, has already been decided, and the books we get, the stories we get,
are more along the lines of chapters in that great story.  This is not my
original theory, but it is something I must see as true for my
personal theory (and perhaps others that I have read) to be plausible.

I read on the Cracks and Shards web site how some people have discussed
Vlad's name and if it was happenstance to be "Taltos," given the nature of
what a Taltos is.  Please forgive my lack of reference - I plan on digging
into the wiki to find "proof" (I say with humor - because how much
conjecture equals one part "truth"?).  Vlad at various times can be viewed
as a different person depending on who is doing the viewing.  To us, each
book he takes on the characteristics of the title.  To easterners, he is a
sorceror, to Dragaerans, he is a witch.  I could go on, but I fear this
email will be longer than it should be.  By this point, you either agree, or
understand where I am going, or think I am off my rocker.

 We already know that so-called greater beings (Verra, the other gods, even
the Jenoine), live in "layers", if I can use such a clumsy word to describe
what occurs when you speak to Verra, Bolk, or visit the Jenoine.  We were
able to see who could understand Bolk, due to increased interaction between
characters with him, and we've seen multiple characters interact with
Verra.  We already know that Vlad is an imperfect narrator, one who
distrusts his own memory.  So, to others and himself, Vlad is different
things in a similar manner.  This is a point that I am not quite married
to... it feels important but I am not certain where it goes or what it
proves.

With that stated, it can be argued that Vlad is indeed characteristic of a
Taltos.  One of the biggest downfalls to the idea that Vlad IS a
Taltos-of-story and not Taltos-in-name is how much Vlad enjoys food.  This
stumped me, because I truly enjoyed Taltos-of-story.  Then I thought a bit
and remembering Brokedown Palace, I had a few ideas.

What ever happened to Bolk's heart?  Was it destroyed, or just removed?  Was
the whole idea of Brokedown Palace an allegory of what the gods must do to
fix all of Dragaera?  Did what happen actually happen, or is it the failed
understanding of the characters that we see?  What was the deal with the
whole thing?  Stagnancy must be fought because the home is crumbling?  Then
it hit me.  What if the story of Brokedown Palace must be re-enacted towards
the Empire - with Vlad acting in the place of Bolk's heart?

He now has God-slayer.  But who is he to slay?  And why is Verra not all
that frightened of the creature she created (Vlad)?  She is indeed wary, but
frightened?  She built him to be who he is.

I originally thought that Vlad was indeed part of, or had part of Bolk's
heart, but I figured Aliera would have seen that with her genetic studies.
Then there was the food issue, but I reasoned that away by saying if made
human, perhaps Bolk would love to be eating food.  But that would be too
much "wish fulfillment".  Overall, I think it would be too tidy to reason
Bolk as being part of this current story, except perhaps the fact that he is
a Taltos, and so is Vlad.  As in Taltos-of-story style.

Just think of how stories change in the telling.

I could go on, but I am suddenly certain I am not unique in my idea.  Feel
free to tear this apart, there is so much I don't understand about the
series that I could be so wrong or off base that you are all laughing at me
now.  I have a somewhat thick skin - as long as you don't flame me or my
reasoning ability - so feel free to help me see past whatever fallacies I
have latched on to.
That was sure a lot of words!

Tomas