[Dragaera] New member introduction

Tom Foolery tomasfoolery at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 14:56:10 PDT 2008

Scott,

Thanks for the awesome reply.

"I think it would be good to know which
books you've read."

I have read the Vladiad and the Paarfiad, plus the Viscount books (I only
mention them because I am not exactly certain where they fall in the -iads
as is commonly defined).  It is very daunting as a new member to realize
there is quite a lot of discussion that has already existed.  I also get the
feeling that there is some here that hold very strongly to their ideas.  I
myself am revisiting a beloved series of stories that have puzzled me
greatly as a youth.

"Trying to think of Vlad as literal Taltos
is reaching a bit far, IMO, though I think I've heard similar speculation on
the list before. "

and

"It seems to me that the grounds for envisioning Vlad as a "Taltos-of-story"
is more of a narrative effect than anything that's obviously meaningful
within the context of the stories. "

I tend to agree, though the idea is durned seductive.  I think it is quite
possible that a person can be a Taltos-of-story, but like I think you are
saying, that is usually decided afterwords, right?  And depending on who is
telling the story.  There seems to be only one actual Taltos-as-a-creature.

"I'm not sure I agree with this [Vlad being an imperfect narrator] in the
context of the stories."

The reference to Vlad's imperfect memory, in which he is disturbed by how
his remembrance of past events may have been altered, I think was in Orca?
I am not certain.  I believe, however, by saying he is an imperfect witness
I am only agreeing with what you are saying:  That it is all subjective.
The only constant is the author!  Depending on which version of the Author
we mean... No, I won't go down that road.

"Kiera might possibly have
something to say about it, but she's known Vlad probably more intimately
than anyone besides Kawti or Noish-Pa."

I believe she mentions something to the effect of Vlad's story telling
abilities in Orca.  So I agree it is probably a stylish choice by Vlad in
his telling of the story, behind the fourth wall.

"Honestly, I don't think that Brokedown Palace relates to the Empire at all.
The whole point of the story is that the Empire (or at least its sorcery) is
part and parcel of the stagnation that has held back the Royal Family from
making progress and, by extension, Fenario and the East as a whole."
Once upon a time, the gods tossed the Jenoine out.  In doing so, they seemed
to have cause stability, if stagnation... I don't have time at the moment to
chase this thought down, but it sounds plausible.  Why is it only a good
thing for Fenario?

I never considered the impact of Verra (but only Verra?) being tossed out of
Fenario and what it meant.  Thank you!  That makes things very interesting,
considering the Gods reason for existance.  I still wonder about Verra's
motives, though.

"Brokedown Palace isn't an allegory about an Easterner who is going to free
the Empire from stagnation. It's a history of the first revolt of the
Easterners against the tyranny of the Gods"

Don't you mean "a" god?  Bolk exhibits many of the same abilities of
godhood, no?
"A final thing to keep in mind when considering the idea of Vlad as
taltos-of-story is that Steve has deliberately embraced the idea that
there's no such thing as objective history."

You know, Steve (I feel weird saying that) seems to enjoy telling the same
story over and over again - in the fine style of Eastern Coachmen.  That
would seem that I could argue more that my idea of Brokedown Palace isn't
just a one off story - perhaps it may be applied to the Empire as well.  I
won't give up on that idea yet, until out of the realms of conjecture we
ride!  There is a massive political feeling to Brokedown Palace (as
referenced at the Wiki), and there is quite a discussion on politics in the
Vladiad and Paarfiad... But I digress.  I would say a complete cycle should
be more than enough time for more than one race of people to be able to
throw off the shackles of that which limits them.

"The Easterners are stagnant because
the Gods have kept them stagnant in order to protect the Empire, the Cycle,
and the world from the Jenoine."

Here's an alternate view:  The easterners grow in size, look at the empire,
and get smacked down in force by the Dragaerians - an effective way of
keeping the barbarous neighbors in check.  Of course, that is too simplistic
a view.  Your idea seems intriguing.

"According to prophecy, Godslayer will kill Verra."

Isn't the actual translation of Godslayer to be "remover of aspects of
deity"?  And while it could be a deadly thing, it doesn't mean it will
destory the god.  Couldn't there be other applications of that?  Especially
considering the soul used?

I apologize for being all over the place in my reply, I have so much to say
and am somewhat intimidated - there's so much already been said.

Happily,

Tomas

Hopefully the waters were deep enough!