[Dragaera] New member introduction

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sun Apr 27 21:18:42 PDT 2008

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Philip Hart wrote:

> I find the style to be quite different actually than the earlier
> Histories, which are nearly entirely tightly written - almost nothing is
> extraneous to the action. The later Works have rather broader goals and
> a more expansive approach.

Maybe we're seeing an evolution of the Sethra-Paarfi relationship or
whatever it is.  Recall that _Les Trois Mousquetaires_ was written
by Dumas in collaboration with Auguste Maquet, and their relationship
(esp. following their success) was complex.  I wonder if Sethra came
to Paarfi after the earlier histories and said, "I want you to front
another propaganda piece; here's the manuscript for you to give to your
publisher", and he replied, "Since I'm famous now, and since I'll be
doing all the book-touring, I think I'll have to insist on my right to
add some additional material about inter-House relationships to spice
things up", and Sethra said, "Ok, whatever, as long as Zerika is heroic
and my agent Pel is covered with the correct spin and the Jenoine
material is covered, I don't care."