[Dragaera] Dragaeran empire compared to China

Ken Koester kkoester at email.ers.usda.gov
Mon Apr 28 08:12:34 PDT 2008

Scott Schultz wrote:

>>The East would then correspond to the lands to the west of China,
>>viewed as barbarous by the Dragaerans/Chinese.
>>

>In a general sense, I think this is a fair comparison. It works the opposite
>direction, also. From the standpoint of the East, they are civilized Europe
>whereas Faerie (The Empire) is The Orient; a place of mysterious people,
>strange customs and inscrutable magic.

I dunno.  Wasn't the dynamic of Chinese expansion as much or more
towards southeast asia, the pacific rim, Indonesia, etc?  It ebbed and
flowed and ebbed and flowed over time, which strikes me as similar to
the Empire's preoccupation with the east.  the great pushes to the west
I associate more with the capture of China by outsiders & their
redirection of interests.  (I admit, I know little of Chinese history.)

Snarkhunter