[Dragaera] Subjective conversation here!

Chris Olson Chrisf.Olson at Sun.COM
Mon Apr 28 11:01:52 PDT 2008

Philip Hart wrote:
> Is that true? I thought (perhaps based on _O_'s dedication) that was
> a case of SKZB discovering something was possible and using it, not
> planning it.

I suppose we'd have to ask the Man for the actual answer to that, but I
can't believe that to be the case.  Maybe he didn't know during
"Jhereg", but evidence would suggest that by later books he knew.  I
suppose pure, amazing luck, or subconscious planning could account for
it, but if that's the case I'm gonna be floored with awe and wonder, and
shoot his name off to the Pope for Sainthood (which would likely make
Steve giggle, if nothing else).

To give one example: Loiosh asking, upon meeting Sethra for the first
time, if they'd ever met her before.  Apparently there IS a being who
can get a glamor past our little jhereg. ;)

For my money, I'd bet Steve knew a few books prior to "Orca".  My letter
to the Pope is waiting for my signature, though.  Just in case.

;)
ChrisO