[Dragaera] Sethra and Paarfi

Tom Foolery tomasfoolery at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 11:39:28 PDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
wrote:

>   You can of course
> argue that the subject at hand is only really a hypothesis that way.

Done!  I like that word better, anyway, since theory apparently has so many
different interpretations, above and beyond what has been discussed here.

> >> Elsewhere in the thread, note that Rushdie did not anticipate having
> >> to spend a decade hiding in fear of his life.
> >>
> > Which could be why we won't be seeing many Paarfi novels from here on
> out,
> > no?
>
> We've read several of Paarfi's Histories following the (normally)
> unbearable aspersions cast on Morrolan in _TPotD_.

I apologize, I was merely attempting to inject some humor.

> > Why must they be true?  Why must they make sense?
> They don't have to, but they might, and if one wishes to read the Texts
> as something, well, legible, it's useful to come up with reasons why one
> should think so.  Otherwise, given SKZB's interest in story as mutable
> substance, one is liable to end up with the Texts being a sea of chaotic
> words (however pleasingly arranged on the page) and little more.

Okay, why is that so wrong?  Why must there be form in the amorphia?
Especially when the author himself appears to enjoy the chaos?  I am
sincerely not trying to get under your skin by asking this, though I fear I
have already.

> > He has admitted to making stuff up.
>
> Not that I know of, certainly not beyond the Thucydidean sense.

AFB here, but didn't he make remarks that he embellished some aspects to
make things more pleasing?   Isn;'t embellishment akin to "making stuff up?"
and if that is a true statement, can't it also be called "creative lying?"
I guess it doesn't matter, overall, because I accept the story as "true"
even if the details ask more questions than they answer.  Mr. Brust does a
terrific job in throwing out little details that tie the world together.
It's amazing, actually.  But I don't know we can do more than agree upon a
"truth" unless Mr. Brust removes the veil of mystery.

So!  Now that we've danced around this, I still am not certain Paarfi did
anything more than pay attention, and embellished things a lot.

Tomas