[Dragaera] Spellbreaker, again

John Dallman jgd at cix.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 13:28:00 PDT 2008

In article
<2ddbda5f0804281638m6a50cb7eg261612115c691e42 at mail.gmail.com>,
wilson.max at gmail.com (Maximilian Wilson) wrote:

> It's possible that SKZB has some more linear view of Godslayer/Lady
> Teldra, and presumably if that's the case we will at some point see
> some evidence of it and I'll change my mind, but for now I'll go with
> the simple hypothesis that minimizes the number of mental cortortions
> required[1].

It seems perfectly possible to me that the sequence went like this:

1. Godslayer created, far in the past.
2. Godslayer dismantled, broken or otherwise "sundered".
3. Long pause.
4. Goodslayer's soul reincarnates as Lady Teldra. Hey, it's little
   less plausible than Vlad's previous identity.
5. A fragment of Godslayer is found.
6. Vlad, who is sometimes a puppet of fate, finds the fragment, and names
   it Spellbreaker.
7. Lady Teldra has an "unfortunate accident".

This allows for Vlad's impression of Teldra's personality from Godslayer
to be accurate. It also fits what we know about the ending of the Vlad
stories. "The Final Contract" clearly has to be to kill the Emperor, or
a god, or maybe even all of the gods... Oh. That's it. Isn't it?

That makes sense to me, in all my impressions of the Vlad stories.

They come from a game, at one level, and unlike more visibly game-
derived fiction, they are not afraid of reaching to the logical
conclusions of the setting and the game. And a fundamental issue in
role-playing games is the conflict between player and character, between
levels of control. The gods are often stand-ins for the players and the
games-master.

Vlad's whole life has been about breaking out of external control. He
has accepted various kinds at different stages: the disciplines of the
Jehreg, marriage to Cawti, the authority of the empire ... but he breaks
out of them all. He is loyal to those who are his friends, but those are
controls he places on himself; he refuses to be controlled by others.

Lastly, SKZB was a Trotskyite once; he may still be in some way. They
don't like controls.

OK, that's my theory. It's pretty woolly; it largely comes from one of
those shock moments of insight, as I was typing "maybe even all of the
gods", and then trying to fit facts to a conclusion.

So, Vlad will have to kill all of the gods at the end, I theorise. This
may be Vera's scheme, but in the end he will kill her too. He'll
probably have to kill Morolan to do that.

In the end, Vlad is always alone.

--
John Dallman, jgd at cix.co.uk, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.