[Dragaera] Vlads blood

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Tue May 13 15:15:39 PDT 2008

From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>

> On Tue, 13 May 2008, Steve Rapaport wrote:
>
> [...]
> > But harking back to his past life as Dolivar, he's likely to do something at
> > least as impressive as squeezing a group of misfits into the Cycle this
> > time.
> >
> > And from a dramatic point of view (making this series more worthwhile than
> > the backstory), it should be a whole lot more impressive than that.
>

> Is the Silmarillion (huh, maybe "Piroillion" is less bad than
> "Pirodessey") more worthwhile than TLotR?  Does Vlad have to hack
> up the Cycle and add a House of the Easterners for his life's arc
> to be impressive?  I'd be satisfied by seeing him work out his personal
> issues with his House, his wife, and his goddess and maybe get the
> Empire to treat his people better.  Ok, maybe he and Teldra could
> do some negotiating with the J in the process, but I don't need
> to see the world turned upside down.

Consider that he's an Easterner who's not only become a noble, but been granted an Imperial Title, holds (actually CREATED) a Great Weapon, defended the Empire against the Jenoine, averted a house war between Jhereg and Dragon, Journeyed to the Paths of the Dead as a living man and returned alive, is on a first name basis with Sethra Lavode, the Empress, and a goddess...

He's already achieved more in his life than probably any Easterner in the history of Dragaera. And he's only in his late 20's.

He could drop dead instantly at the end of "Dzur" and still be worthy of remembrance in the annals of the Dragaeran Empire.

Everything else at this point is gravy. All of Verra's plans and Sethra's talk of Destiny points to something even bigger on the horizon... Is it possible that an Easterner could really become a household name throughout the Empire? The stuff of myth and legend? We may yet find out.

Mjaikjon