[Dragaera] Jhereg policy in _TPG_

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Jun 20 07:52:50 PDT 2008

Maximilian Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>> Presumably Fayaavik does not attempt to kill Adron.  That's quite
>> a contract, incidentally - I wonder if he died in the Interregnum,
>> because otherwise he must be a formidable Jhereg in Vlad's time.
>>

> Is he supposed to kill him Morganti? Because otherwise, maybe Fayaavik
> _does_ kill Adron and then they kill Fayaavik. ;)

Bear in mind, this is all pre-Interregnum (This is *Adron* we're talking
about...) so no revivification yet.

Since /Dzur/, I've been mildly curious if the character "Fayavik" might,
in fact, be the same Jhereg. (The Jhereg who was collecting protection
money for the Left Hand in South Adrilankha.) The difference in spelling
is minor, and based only on Vlad's account, who probably never saw it
written down anywhere. Both characters are Jhereg.

If this is the same person, his fortunes would seem to have taken a
rather nasty fall.

To the left, it's quite likely the name is a common one among Jhereg,
and we didn't get any impression that Fayavik was especially old. It was
about 1000 years from /TPG/ to /Dzur/, and Fayaavik was already well
established at that time, so presumably 1000 or more years old already.
2000 years is a good long while to live, even for a Dragaeran.

Perhaps it's his son? Perhaps Fayaavik was one of the "two of the three
council members who survived the Disaster" that The Demon kills in his
rise to power? (The third of these now known to almost certainly have
been Curithne.) All speculative, but plausible.