[Dragaera] Jhegaala *Spoilers*

Bryan Newell bryann at bryann.net
Wed Jul 9 16:37:24 PDT 2008

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

13

14

15

16

17

Noish-pa says that Vlad's mother's father (Vlad's maternal grandfather) came
to the Empire either before his mother was born or right after (page 13); if
he came directly from Burz, the elderly residents of Burz might have known
(and remembered) him.  The thought of such a direct connection to Burz only
intensified my disappointment at how little we learned about the maternal
side of Vlad's family.

Either Steve got confused, or Vlad missed a big clue that something was
amiss:  when Vlad first meets Dahni, Dahni refers to him as "Lord Taltos"
and Vlad doesn't bat an eye (page 129).  At this point in the story, Vlad
thinks only the Guild and "whatever witch or witches had pulled it from my
mind" (page 122) know his true identity.  Contrast with Vlad's reaction on
page 187 when he finds out yet another person knows his true identity.

Why Rocza's sudden affection/protectiveness towards Vlad?  Is it related to
Cawti's pregnancy?  And why does Vlad say that discovering she was
affectionate towards him was "agreeably disappointing" (page 217)?

"What's time to a kethna?  Sorry, private joke."  Did anyone here get this
joke?

I thought it was interesting that (chronologically) this book (which is
ostensibly about change, and in which some pretty intense stuff happens to
Vlad) takes place immediately before the one book in which we're not privy
to Vlad's thoughts.  I need to reread /Athyra/.

Bryan