[Dragaera] Jhegaala *Spoilers*

Bryan Newell bryann at bryann.net
Fri Jul 11 05:41:03 PDT 2008

> > 1
> >
> > 2
> >
> > 3
> >
> > 4
> >
> > 5
> >
> > 6
> >
> > 7
> >
> > 8
> >
> > 9
> >
> > 10
> >
> > 11
> >
> > 12
> >
> > 13
> >
> > 14
> >
> > 15
> >
> > 16
> >
> > 17
> >
> > Either Steve got confused, or Vlad missed a big clue that something
> > was amiss:  when Vlad first meets Dahni, Dahni refers to him as
> > "Lord Taltos" and Vlad doesn't bat an eye (page 129).

> At this point, Vlad doesn't know who Dahni is really working
> for. The way I read it, Vlad assumes (incorrectly) that Dahni
> is representing the Guild. He already suspects the Guild had
> the Merss family killed--so his immediate reaction to this
> revelation is "Turn and walk away." This seems to have not
> been a simple slip-up on Dahni's part, since two sentences
> earlier he had called him "Lord Merss". Dahni dropped the
> Taltos name quite deliberately.
>
> Later on, Vlad may have either forgotten the comment, and its
> significance, or if you want to give Vlad more credit, he was
> simply unsure of how much the Count and the Guild were really
> cooperating with one another. Perhaps the Guild told the
> Count, and the Count told Dahni?
>
> Of course, we find out later that the real reason Dahni knows
> his name is likely the Jhereg assassin told him.
>
> My belief is that this was a deliberate clue for the reader
> on the part of SKZB.

To my chagrin, it would appear that Steve agrees with you (see comment #26
at http://dreamcafe.com/words/2008/07/06/jhegaala-spoilers/).

> > Why Rocza's sudden affection/protectiveness towards Vlad?  Is it
> > related to Cawti's pregnancy?

> I think the idea that this had anything to do with Cawti's
> pregnancy may be a bit of a stretch. I see this development
> as just being the fact that ever since /Jhereg/, Cawti had
> been a bit closer to Rocza than Vlad was, and now that Cawti
> wasn't around anymore, Vlad was only just starting to take
> greater notice of Rocza.

I can see that.  Thanks.

> This relationship has certainly
> blossomed by the time we get to the events of /Athyra/.

My memory of /Athyra/ is that she seems more concerned with Loiosh than Vlad
(that it isn't so much that she's worried about Vlad because she likes Vlad,
but because it upsets Loiosh), but I need to reread /A/ anyway.

> > "What's time to a kethna?  Sorry, private joke."  Did
> > anyone here get this joke?
>
> Ever see a pig who was impatient to get on with his function in life?
> Sat watching the clock, counting down the hours, waiting for
> the big event? That's how I read this line, anyway. Kethna
> exist to be eaten. If that's your lot in life, you're not
> going to sit watching the clock all day.

That works, except why refer to it as a private joke?  Has this been
discussed on the List or his blog before, and I missed it?

Bryan