[Dragaera] Jhegaala *Spoilers*

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Jul 11 07:36:28 PDT 2008

Bryan Newell wrote:
>>> 1
>>>
>>> 2
>>>
>>> 3
>>>
>>> 4
>>>
>>> 5
>>>
>>> 6
>>>
>>> 7
>>>
>>> 8
>>>
>>> 9
>>>
>>> 10
>>>
>>> 11
>>>
>>> 12
>>>
>>> 13
>>>
>>> 14
>>>
>>> 15
>>>
>>> 16
>>>
>>> 17
>>>
>>> Either Steve got confused, or Vlad missed a big clue that something
>>> was amiss:  when Vlad first meets Dahni, Dahni refers to him as
>>> "Lord Taltos" and Vlad doesn't bat an eye (page 129).
>>>

>> At this point, Vlad doesn't know who Dahni is really working
>> for. The way I read it, Vlad assumes (incorrectly) that Dahni
>> is representing the Guild. He already suspects the Guild had
>> the Merss family killed--so his immediate reaction to this
>> revelation is "Turn and walk away." This seems to have not
>> been a simple slip-up on Dahni's part, since two sentences
>> earlier he had called him "Lord Merss". Dahni dropped the
>> Taltos name quite deliberately.
>>

> To my chagrin, it would appear that Steve agrees with you (see comment #26
> at http://dreamcafe.com/words/2008/07/06/jhegaala-spoilers/).

So much of this book is told between the lines. Like in /Dzur/, where it
took me two or three readthroughs to pick up on the fact that Vlad was
breaking a glass in just about every chapter.

I am convinced that if Steve had written the Bible, it would not contain
the words "God" or "Jesus", and while Moses might get mentioned, he
would only ever appear offstage.

>> This relationship has certainly
>> blossomed by the time we get to the events of /Athyra/.
>>

> My memory of /Athyra/ is that she seems more concerned with Loiosh than Vlad
> (that it isn't so much that she's worried about Vlad because she likes Vlad,
> but because it upsets Loiosh), but I need to reread /A/ anyway.

There may be truth to this. But then, Vlad himself comments that he's
not sure why Rocza seems so affectionate, and that he may be imagining it.

>>> "What's time to a kethna?  Sorry, private joke."  Did
>>> anyone here get this joke?
>>>
>> Ever see a pig who was impatient to get on with his function in life?
>> Sat watching the clock, counting down the hours, waiting for
>> the big event? That's how I read this line, anyway. Kethna
>> exist to be eaten. If that's your lot in life, you're not
>> going to sit watching the clock all day.
>>

> That works, except why refer to it as a private joke?  Has this been
> discussed on the List or his blog before, and I missed it

Hmm. Not sure if there's more to it than that. Unless it's another
subtle nod to "Pig Eatin's".