[Dragaera] Seventeen Jhegaala Spoilers *HEAVY, SEVERE, SERIOUS, MAJOR Spoilers*

Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood dalton_0907 at gaeacoop.org
Fri Jul 11 17:50:40 PDT 2008

Jon Lincicum wrote:
> SPOILERS WITHIN. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
>
> 1
>
> 2
>
> 3
>
> 4
>
> 5
>
> 6
>
> 7
>
> 8
>
> 9
>
> 10
>
> 11
>
> 12
>
> 13
>
> 14
>
> 15
>
> 16
>
> 17
>
> 1. Do you suppose Zerika ever thanks Vlad for sending her the gift of
> paper? What will cheap, plentiful paper do for Cawti's campaign to teach
> Teckla to read? Will it have any impact on the ability of certain
> [cough]historians[cough] to get their works published, cheaply, some
> years later?

Now those are interesting thoughts, both of them-- the campaign to teach
Teckla to read, and the ability of certain... verbose writers to get
their works published. ;)

> 4. Vlad's plan of attack for finding the answers he seek keeps changing.
> This may be the most Jhegaala-like trait in the whole story. To the
> left, the plans themselves are more Tiassa-like.

I don't know. Flailing around blindly, exploring every corner of the
limited environment, seems to describe what Vlad's doing in the middle
part of the book pretty well.

> 10. Vlad's ability to manipulate events while lying bedridden through
> the last few chapters and destroy his enemies with a simple ruse while
> physically helpless is positively Yendi-like.

I did like this bit. I guess I don't like seeing Vlad helpless, and
paradoxically, he seemed less helpless late in the clutches of the
questioners than he had earlier while wandering around Burz. Go figure.

> 15. We now know that pigs do exist on Dragaera. We've had hints before,
> but this is the first time the word's ever been directly used. I had
> often suspected they might not, in favor of Kethna.

I first thought you meant the reference to "pork" in the "hunter's
stew," and I think that could still have been kethna. But then I
realized you probably meant "pig eatin's." I'm not sure what to think of
that, as we still have no other evidence of pigs. I wonder if it could
be a linguistic hold-over from pre-colonization days?

I started re-reading two nights ago, and decided I'm not ready for
another run-through yet. Maybe I'll re-read _Athyra_ and _Orca_ instead. :)

--
Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood
Support Steven Brust!