[Dragaera] Seventeen Jhegaala Spoilers *HEAVY, SEVERE, SERIOUS, MAJOR Spoilers*

Chris Olson Chrisf.Olson at Sun.COM
Sat Jul 12 12:19:49 PDT 2008

Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood wrote:
> Jon Lincicum wrote:
>> SPOILERS WITHIN. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
>>
>> 1
>>
>> 2
>>
>> 3
>>
>> 4
>>
>> 5
>>
>> 6
>>
>> 7
>>
>> 8
>>
>> 9
>>
>> 10
>>
>> 11
>>
>> 12
>>
>> 13
>>
>> 14
>>
>> 15
>>
>> 16
>>
>> 17
>>
>> 15. We now know that pigs do exist on Dragaera. We've had hints
>> before, but this is the first time the word's ever been directly
>> used. I had often suspected they might not, in favor of Kethna.
>
> I first thought you meant the reference to "pork" in the "hunter's
> stew," and I think that could still have been kethna. But then I
> realized you probably meant "pig eatin's." I'm not sure what to think
> of that, as we still have no other evidence of pigs. I wonder if it
> could be a linguistic hold-over from pre-colonization days?
Well, there are two explanations for "pig eatin's", I suspect.  The
first is that the author had to put it in, because it amused him to do
so.  (If you don't know the reference, you can find it on his weblog.
It was some time in 2007 prior to November, but I'm not sure precisely.
Link to 2007's entries: http://skzbrust.livejournal.com/2007/ .  I'd
explain, but I wouldn't do it justice.)

As for the second explanation, I dare say he'll enjoy our speculating
about it.  Is this proof that Dragaera has pigs?  Is the author
translating the word as best he can, and that's what he came up with
from what Vlad said?  Perhaps pigs are only native to the Eastern lands,
and they can't survive in the land of the Elfs?
Did Vlad just mishear what was said?

Just a thought.