[Dragaera] We must fill the Crack! (Jhegaala Spoiler Alert!)

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Jul 14 11:38:51 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Claire Rojstaczer" <ambyrglow at gmail.com>
To: "Scott Schultz" <scott at cjhunter.com>
Cc: "Dragaera List" <dragaera at dragaera.info>
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Dragaera] We must fill the Crack! (Jhegaala Spoiler Alert!)

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Scott Schultz <scott at cjhunter.com> wrote:
>> reply following spoiler space...
>>
>>> This is a Jhegaala Spoiler Alert.
>>>
>>> This is another one.
>>>
>>> Here's a third.
>>>
>>> Shall I continue for another Seventeen lines?
>>>
>>> Or have you realized that, if you continue to read,
>>>
>>> Yet you've not yet read Jhegaala,
>>>
>>> Anything I write can and will spoil
>>>
>>> Your enjoyment of the above-mentioned book.
>>>
>>> And you really don't want to do that.
>>>
>>> Do you?
>>>
>>> I thought not.
>>>
>>> This is the End of the Spoiler Alert

> But then how would the Jhereg agent know he has poor night vision, if
> it's only an issue when Vlad is in the East?

Considering everything that Kragar was ever able to find out about Vlad's
targets, I think you're giving House Jhereg too little credit. I'd guess
that they know just about everything there is to know about Vlad.

Since we're speculating, here's a reasonable speculation - Note the reply
prior to mine, which was basically "Yeah, I thought I had good night vision
until it turned out it wasn't all that good in comparison to someone else."
Note also the number of times that Vlad mentions that night vision is easily
corrected with a simple spell as long as you don't happen to be wearing
black phoenix stone and can't remove it. So, Joe Jhereg buys a bottle of
Fenarian brandy for someone who used to work for Vlad. One of the things he
learns is that Vlad always worked this little spell to enhance his night
vision. He then makes the reasonable assumption that his vision is
not-so-good without that little spell. Voila!

Vlad's claim to "good night vision" is a result of pride and his depending
on something that to him is no different than depending on having the proper
knife in his boot. He doesn't think of it as something separate from
himself.

That work for you?