[Dragaera] We must fill the Crack! (Jhegaala Spoiler Alert!)

Claire Rojstaczer ambyrglow at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 11:12:35 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Scott Schultz <scott at cjhunter.com> wrote:
> reply following spoiler space...
>
>> This is a Jhegaala Spoiler Alert.
>>
>> This is another one.
>>
>> Here's a third.
>>
>> Shall I continue for another Seventeen lines?
>>
>> Or have you realized that, if you continue to read,
>>
>> Yet you've not yet read Jhegaala,
>>
>> Anything I write can and will spoil
>>
>> Your enjoyment of the above-mentioned book.
>>
>> And you really don't want to do that.
>>
>> Do you?
>>
>> I thought not.
>>
>> This is the End of the Spoiler Alert

> I think that's pretty simply explained in _Jhegaala_. Vlad spends a
> reasonable amount of time comparing night in the East to night in the
> Empire, with the observation that it's darker in the East due to an ambient
> light cast by the Enshrouding. What he thinks of as "night vision" in the
> earlier book turns out to be somewhat inadequate when faced with the real
> darkness in the East.
>
> Actually, I'd say that's pretty impressive that Steve caught that and came
> up with a suitable explanation.

But then how would the Jhereg agent know he has poor night vision, if
it's only an issue when Vlad is in the East? Vlad has been East
before, so presumably knows about the difficulty, but I can't see why
he'd ever mention to anyone else, once back in the Empire, "Hey, do
you know, I have the hardest time seeing at night when I'm back in the
old country?"