[Dragaera] We must fill the Crack! (Jhegaala Spoiler Alert!)

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Jul 14 11:11:36 PDT 2008

reply following spoiler space...

> This is a Jhegaala Spoiler Alert.
>
> This is another one.
>
> Here's a third.
>
> Shall I continue for another Seventeen lines?
>
> Or have you realized that, if you continue to read,
>
> Yet you've not yet read Jhegaala,
>
> Anything I write can and will spoil
>
> Your enjoyment of the above-mentioned book.
>
> And you really don't want to do that.
>
> Do you?
>
> I thought not.
>
> This is the End of the Spoiler Alert

> So, after reading Jhegaala, I've been re-reading Teckla, and I'm afraid
> I've found a crack that we should really figure out how to fill.
>
> Bottom half of page 138 of Teckla (Ace paperback edition) Vlad tells us "I
> have pretty fair night vision, but there are those who see better than I
> do."  However, in Jhegaala, it's made pretty clear that Vlad's night
> vision is poor.
>
> The easiest explanation I can come up with is that Vlad's pumping his ego
> a bit with the comment in Teckla.
> Any other thoughts?

I think that's pretty simply explained in _Jhegaala_. Vlad spends a
reasonable amount of time comparing night in the East to night in the
Empire, with the observation that it's darker in the East due to an ambient
light cast by the Enshrouding. What he thinks of as "night vision" in the
earlier book turns out to be somewhat inadequate when faced with the real
darkness in the East.

Actually, I'd say that's pretty impressive that Steve caught that and came
up with a suitable explanation.