[Dragaera] We must fill the Crack! (Jhegaala Spoiler Alert!)

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Mon Jul 14 11:02:34 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 10:26 -0700, Chris Olson wrote:
> This is a Jhegaala Spoiler Alert.
>
> This is another one.
>
> Here's a third.
>
> Shall I continue for another Seventeen lines?
>
> Or have you realized that, if you continue to read,
>
> Yet you've not yet read Jhegaala,
>
> Anything I write can and will spoil
>
> Your enjoyment of the above-mentioned book.
>
> And you really don't want to do that.
>
> Do you?
>
> I thought not.
>
> This is the End of the Spoiler Alert

> So, after reading Jhegaala, I've been re-reading Teckla, and I'm afraid
> I've found a crack that we should really figure out how to fill.
>
> Bottom half of page 138 of Teckla (Ace paperback edition) Vlad tells us
> "I have pretty fair night vision, but there are those who see better
> than I do."  However, in Jhegaala, it's made pretty clear that Vlad's
> night vision is poor.
>
> The easiest explanation I can come up with is that Vlad's pumping his
> ego a bit with the comment in Teckla.  I mean, I could understand it,
> given his state of mind in that story.  By the end of Phoenix and the
> beginning of Jhegaala, he's already gone through some pretty major
> changes to his personality, and is less likely to prevaricate something
> of that nature (though he'll still lie when he feels the desire).
>
> Any other thoughts?

He could simply have been wrong.  I didn't realize I had poor night
vision until I had it unmistakeably demonstrated to me one evening.  I
thought my night vision was fair until my then-wife and her daughter
both saw feathers fluttering on an owl that until that point I had
thought was one of those plastic mock-owls used to scare pigeons.  I was
35 or thereabouts.
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com     http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/