[Dragaera] Here Be a Jhegaala Spoiler

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Jul 14 23:18:25 PDT 2008

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Maximilian Wilson wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>> 0
>> 1
>> 2
>> 3
>> 4
>> 5
>> 6
>> 7
>> 8
>> 9
>>

> P.S. Even if invisibility were uncommon, wouldn't we have expected
> Kiera to use it when breaking into the Palace? Rather than waiting
> until the guard's back was turned? Wouldn't people be less surprised
> to discover they'd accidentally included Kragar in a conversation, or
> teleported him with a group?

Yes, I've been wondering why the spell was never noted in the Kragar
context in earlier Texts.  Though what he has is actually richer
than invisibility in some ways, I think.  Which ought to have been
a subject of comment by Vlad.

I had figured that Kiera doesn't do it because she's not really
a sorcerer - she might use an invisibility gadget if there were one,
but I don't think we see her casting (non-trivial?) spells.

And Vlad doesn't use sorcery regularly in work - he'll warm up
or cool down a drink without thought, or teleport, but he doesn't
cast lightning bolts when he can throw a dagger, even around
the time of _Jhereg_.

But it seems like a problem for understanding the risk environments
Vlad has acted in, and the approaches he has taken to problems.

OTOH it's not actually at all important to the events in _Jhegaala_
that invisibility be possible.