[Dragaera] Here Be a Jhegaala Spoiler

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 07:44:21 PDT 2008

Philip Hart wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Maximilian Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Philip Hart
>> <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>>> 0
>>> 1
>>> 2
>>> 3
>>> 4
>>> 5
>>> 6
>>> 7
>>> 8
>>> 9
>>> a
>>> b
>>> c
>>> d
>>> e
>>> f
>>>

>> P.S. Even if invisibility were uncommon, wouldn't we have expected
>> Kiera to use it when breaking into the Palace? Rather than waiting
>> until the guard's back was turned? Wouldn't people be less surprised
>> to discover they'd accidentally included Kragar in a conversation, or
>> teleported him with a group?
>
> Yes, I've been wondering why the spell was never noted in the Kragar
> context in earlier Texts.  Though what he has is actually richer than
> invisibility in some ways, I think.  Which ought to have been
> a subject of comment by Vlad.
> OTOH it's not actually at all important to the events in _Jhegaala_
> that invisibility be possible.

My take: There is no spell for invisibility. Vlad is flat-out lying to
the count and his men, because he wants to see the Jhereg assassin
covered in Nesiffa powder, which no doubt has some annoying quality
(itch-powder, for example) and this is Vlad's way of making the
assassin's life miserable. It's such a petty prank, tho, that the Count
and his men wouldn't have bothered with it unless Vlad had given them a
compelling reason.